Also, black belt testings were held on Saturday afternoon out in Stonewall at the Stonewall Karate club.
Sensei Lussier has an extensive competitive history up to and including gold at the Worlds level with the ISKF, and runs a club of his own in St. Louis, Saskatchewan (road trip, anyone?) while he maintains regular employment as a corrections officer at Saskatchewan Penitentiary.
If You Missed Sensei Marcel Lussier…
The seminar rooms were packed, and Sensei Lussier shared some high-quality tips and tricks for everyone who attended.
While it’s difficult to make a short list, some of the things there were special focus on included:
* Demonstrating the difference between “testing” kata and “competition” kata, including why they should be different from one another.
* Point-by-point examination of black belt testing kata. His detailed explanation of Nijushiho should have been recorded!
* Discussing the difference between the “beginner” and “black belt” ways to execute basics techniques.
* Quizzing our understanding of exactly which of the Six Ways to Generate Power are being used in testing basics.
Videos & Pictures Are Up!
Since Charleswood’s resident webmaster was at this event, there’s pictures and videos for you to enjoy, whether or not you were able to make it out to Sensei Lussier’s seminar this time around.
Because testing was held in a small venue instead of a large gym, we can clearly hear everything that Sensei Lussier is saying, as a bonus this time!
He’s quite a talented and technical instructor, so I’m sure we’ll be seeing him again in the coming years.
- Tag anyone who isn’t tagged in this Facebook Album
- Check out the testing footage:
- Here are some pictures uploaded to the Charleswood Karate albums
Good work to those who attended, and especially to those who poured all their energy into their testing!